Tuesday, September 17, 2013


September 16, 2013
Canyonlands National Park, UT
I was still feeling pretty miserable but didn’t want to miss out on exploring nearby Canyonlands. 
So we got an early start and reached the entrance to the park by 10AM.
Monte showed his Senior Pass and ID at the entrance booth where we received a map of the park.  I really wish I had been keeping track of the amount of savings we have received by having the Senior Pass.  What a wonderful reward—getting older does have some privileges.

 
 
Our first stop was at the Visitor Center
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
where I stamped my passport,
 
 
 
 
 
 
viewed the exhibits and sat through a very interesting ranger talk on the exploration of the Colorado River by John Wesley Powell.
Canyonlands is actually divided into three sections; The Maze (the most remote section), The Needles, and the section we explored called Island in the Sky.  There are no roads connecting the three districts within the park because they are separated by the Colorado and Green Rivers.  To visit each district one would have to drive several miles around outside the park and enter at each section.
We stopped at a couple of overviews to take pictures.
 
Monte scrambled down some boulders
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
while I stayed up top and chatted with a couple from New Zealand who are taking one year to tour the US.  When I told them we are full-timers and “living” all over they picked my brain about different locations they want to explore.

 
 
 
We found a really nice spot to have our lunch
before taking our first hike of the day. 
It was very HOT and my face was throbbing so I didn’t enjoy the hike as much as I normally would have.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
The next couple of hours we drove around stopping at different viewpoints along the way.

 
 
 
 
 
  
When I first saw this moth I thought it was a hummingbird because its wings were flapping so rapidly.   
 
 
 
 
 
By the late afternoon I was feeling a little better so we took another hike leading to the Mesa Arch. 

 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
By the time we got back to the car, I was feeling crappy again so we called it a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment