Friday, November 2, 2012


November 1, 2012

Stagecoach Trails Resort

Julian, CA

I didn’t sleep very well last night because my back was aching and I couldn’t get a comfortable position.  When I did manage to fall asleep I dreamt about giant ants trying to get into our rig. 

We had a totally lazy morning.  I did some research looking for our next location.  I narrowed it down between going southwest towards San Diego and northeast towards Palm Springs.  Decisions, decisions! 

I asked Monte what he had decided about doing the sky sailing.  He was hesitant because of the cost but I finally convinced him he should go for it when I said he could consider it his Christmas Gift.

We drove the 29 miles to Sky Sailing Inc located in Warner Springs.



 Monte decided on the thirty minute, one passenger ride in a trainer costing $150 which includes still frame pictures on a memory card.  We had to wait approximately a half hour because the pilot, who was going to be taking Monte up, was doing aerobatic loops in a high-performance glider.  When he came down, he convinced Monte to switch from a trainer to the high-performance glider and instead of still pictures to go with a video taken from a camera mounted in the cockpit.   Monte paid the extra $20.

I taped him getting suited up in the parachute, getting into the cockpit, and taking off being towed by the tow plane.  He was only supposed to be gone thirty minutes but ended up landing forty minutes after takeoff.  I taped the landing and his s—t-eating grim that let me know he had an awesome experience. 


 

He told me it was exhilarating.  As a bonus the pilot did some loops that normally would only be done in the aerobatic flight costing more money.  Monte sat in front and was able to take control during parts of the flight.

When we got home I heated up some leftover frozen pizza and we watched the video taken from the camera mounted in the cockpit as well as the video I had taken.  While watching the videos I understood why Monte had that s—t-eating grin when he landed.  AWESOME.  He thanked me for nudging him into an adventure that gave him a memory that will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment