Sunday, June 15, 2014

June 14, 2014

Happy Birthday to me-59! When did that happen?
I can remember being 15 and expressing how much I was looking forward to being 18 some day so that I could do whatever I wanted.  Now 18 feels like a lifetime ago.  It's funny how we tend to want to grow up so fast and how those early years appear to go by in slow motion?
Then we reach a certain age and the time goes by in warp speed.  I can now understand and appreciate the cliché that youth is wasted on the young. 
If I could travel back in time for a day I would tell my young self to really appreciate each day especially the time spent with my children when they where young.  Don't worry so much about dirty dishes in the sink or the pile of laundry--play with the kids, read them a book, take a walk outside and teach them to smell the roses.   
When I opened up my laptop I discovered a beautiful card from my sweetheart. What a nice way to start the day. As usual, it was a Hallmark card. Monte knows I don’t like spending money on expensive cards-I usually make my own but he always splurges on cards for me and I always make a point of looking at the back of the card for that telltale crown.

We didn’t have a very exciting day planned but just spending the time together made it special to me. We began with a free health screening at Sam’s Club.


 
After filling out the forms, we were informed there was an hour and a half waiting time so we walked around browsing to kill the time.
The tests included glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure and body fat percentage. All of our numbers were good—My body fat percentage result was in the high level—what a shock! In addition to the above mentioned tests, Monte had a PSA test. He won’t have the test results for a few days.
Of all the tests the PSA is the most important because Monte had prostate cancer in 2003. His last PSA test taken two years ago was normal so we are pretty confident the results from this test will be good.
After Sam’s we headed over to Camping World.
We were in the market for new outdoor chairs because our current ones are frayed. 






This one is nice and wide.








Monte agreed so we bought two.







Monte wanted to buy an American flag but even at half price $50 was a little steep. 






Nice selection of lights.








When Monte saw me looking at this dice and slice chopper he bought it for me for my birthday. I wasn’t expecting another gift-he had already bought me a new bike last month. 
Next stop,Walmart, for a long overdue haircut. While I was sitting in the stylist’s chair, I remembered that I had gotten a haircut last year on my birthday in Coos Bay, Oregon. I just might have to make this a yearly tradition.
While I was at Walmart, Monte took a ride to Harbor Freight and bought an American flag for $8.  Awesome!
We ended the evening out with a delicious dinner at Applebee’s.






 
Being creatures of habit we ordered the same thing that we always order on the two for twenty menu, spinach and artichoke dip for the appetizer,
 



 
steak, baked potato and broccoli for me







and steak, mashed potato and corn for Monte. 







 He also ordered the French onion soup.
When we were finished eating, our server brought over a birthday desert.
-how sweet.
To my family and friends-thank you for all the birthday phone calls and birthday greetings on Facebook.
Monte, thanks for making the day special!

No comments:

Post a Comment