Sunday, May 20, 2018


May 18

Garvan Woodland Gardens

Hot Springs, Arkansas

Garvan Woodland Gardens, owned by the University of Arkansas, is a 210-acre botanical garden located a few miles from Hot Springs National Park. 



We spent a few hours slowly walking through the different sections of the gardens.
 


Bonsai Garden


Sunrise Bridge 
 
Koi Pond
 
We ate our picnic lunch at the Perry Wildflower Overlook with a sweeping view of Lake Hamilton.
 
 
 
 

When we stopped to rest at a picnic table near the Chipmunk CafĂ© we were visited by a peacock that appeared to be posing just for us. 

 
The main reason I had chosen to tour the Garvan Woodland Gardens was to visit the Anthony Chapel.  I had seen a picture of the chapel a few months ago when I began researching things to do around Hot Springs. 
 I could envision myself sitting in the chapel.
I was not disappointed when I was able to actually sit down in a pew and just take a few minutes to enjoy having the chapel totally to myself.




The Anthony Chapel features soaring columns and fan vaulting of southern pine.  A complex truss system mimics the branches of surrounding trees as it allows the use of light, structural members, making the 60-foot high roof seem to be part of the trees.  The 55-foot tall glass windows and oversize skylights offer virtually uninterrupted views of the surrounding woodlands. 
The Chapel is a popular venue for weddings.  Just a short walk down the trail is the Bride’s Hall, Grooms Quarters and the Anthony Family Carillon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment