Monday, December 15, 2014


December 14, 2014
Englewood, FL

Mom & Dad’s surprise 60th Wedding Anniversary Party (Actual anniversary is on the 18th)
We got an early start (10:30) for our drive down to my brother and sister-in-law’s house in Englewood.  The party for my parents was scheduled to begin at 3PM.  Monte and I had offered to help with the preparation.  We stopped at Dollar Tree to pick up a dozen balloons.  I had allowed a half hour for our stop at Dollar Tree but we were in and out with the balloons within 10 minutes.

My sister-in-law, Margaret was busy decorating the cake when we arrived.  She topped off the cake with edible pictures of my parents-one from their wedding day and a current one.  Margaret is an excellent baker so I was looking forward to having a slice of cake.
Margaret and my brother Jon went all out decorating their house for Christmas. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Even the pool dolphin water fountain was included.
I set up my contribution to the decorations for the anniversary party.  I had 60 pictures printed of my parents that spanned 60 years.
 
 
 
 
 I pasted a picture on both sides of cardstock and then attached them to ribbon so that when they were hung in the window they could be seen both inside and outside.

 
 
 
 
 
Margaret put me to work filling platters with food and cutting bread.

 
 
 
My parents had been invited to a “holiday” party so they wouldn’t be surprised when they saw all the cars parked in the driveway and street when they pulled up to the house.

Surprise!
The guests mingled while we got the food set out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My brother and sister-in-law.

 
 
 
 
 
Jon and Margaret welcomed everyone.

 
 
 
 
Jon made a toast to the anniversary couple.
Come and get it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jon and Margaret had invited two musician friends to provide live entertainment. 
 

 
 
 
 
Another friend, a former opera singer, sang a medley of old standards.

 
 
 
Time to relax
 
 
Anniversary dance.

 
 
 
 
Time to cut the cake.
Cutting the cake 60 years ago.
 
 
 
Yummy.

 
 
 
Time for the champagne toast:
Some 60 plus years ago two young people, just kids really, met- fell in love- and made a commitment to share their lives together.
Every couple has their own love story but what makes this particular couple’s story unique is what had to happen for their paths to cross.
First, the young man had to enlist in the Army and travel almost four thousand miles across an ocean to a country with a language and customs so very foreign to a street-smart Brooklyn kid from humble beginnings.
Then, the young man had to be in a particular city, walking down a particular street on a particular day at the same exact time as the young women was exiting from a dress shop. 
And then he had to convince her to go to a café for coffee.  She had to accept his offer even though she was already engaged to someone else and had her entire life planned out.
Was it luck, was it happenstance or was it kismit? 
If he had been stationed elsewhere or had walked down that same street five minutes earlier or later I would not be here telling this story.  If she had used a different dress shop or had visited the shop the previous day my children and grandchildren would not exist.  My brother and his children would not exist. Both Monte and Margaret would have different lives, and to some extent so would their children without the benefit of whatever influence we have had on them.  And all of the numerous friends my parents have cultivated over the years would not have had their lives enhanced by the pleasure of knowing and socializing with them.
So I, for one, am extremely grateful and happy to be here to celebrate this remarkable milestone.
 60 plus years together and 60 years married.   Think about that- 60 years is 21,900 days!  And with the exception of the few times they were apart, mostly when one traveled without the other, they spent almost all of those 21, 900 days together under one roof. 

21,900 days of togetherness.  Sharing the ups and downs of married life-loving each other because of, and sometimes despite, their differences, quirks and temperaments. 
When a couple wed they vow to love each other through good times and bad.
One of the greatest advantages of being in a committed loving relationship is having someone you trust have your back.  They are the first person you want to share good news with as well as being the person you can rely on for comfort during times of crisis. 

Also included in the wedding vows is to love each other through sickness and in health.
Whether it is the simple act of making chicken soup when your mate has a cold or the anxiety-ridden hours spent pacing in a hospital waiting room while your mate has life-saving surgery, it is a comfort to share that burden.
I am amazed when I think about the sacrifices, both individually and as a couple, that my parents have made just to be together beginning with my mom leaving the security of her native born home and family to begin a new life in a strange alien world.   She must have had total faith in her husband for her to leave him behind and board that ship to cross the ocean at eight months pregnant with a two year old in tow.  I can only imagine the fear and anxiety she must have experienced when she was met at the pier by her in-laws who were total strangers to her. 
When my dad finally returned to America they began the work necessary to build a financial future that would not only provide a safe home for their children, but also allow them to retire early and enjoy the fruits of their many labors.  As parents, they did an outstanding job, if I say so myself, by instilling in us their values and giving us the tools to parent our own children and they in turn their children.

The final part of the wedding vow is “to honor each other all the days of their lives”.   My parents have and continue to honor each other by being faithful, nourishing, and kind to each other.  Although they have been great role models for my brother Jon and me, they are human and therefore not perfect, but in my eyes they come pretty darn close to it. 
So Mom and Dad, as you celebrate your 60th wedding anniversary I hope you think back to that very young couple who had so many dreams, hopes and aspirations for the future with fondness and a true sense of accomplishment for all you have achieved.

I feel so very lucky to have been part of your journey and truly blessed that you have been there so far for my entire life’s journey.
Happy Anniversary

Love,
Your favorite daughter
December 18, 2014
 

The party was a huge success.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment