Monday, December 15, 2014


December 8-13, 2014
Little Manatee River State Park

Monday-While Monte went off to work at 8AM I spend a frustrating morning, mostly spent on hold, when I called to make doctor appointments.  I wanted to avoid having to drive over an hour to the town where I used to live for my annual Gyno checkup and mammogram.
I used the physician finder on-line at my insurance carrier’s site to get a list of participating doctors in my area.  Then I called the insurance company to verify the doc’s were still participating.  But the real fun came when I began calling to try to get an appointment.  When I finally got through after being on hold and then having to re-dial after the call dropped I was told that the soonest appointment was late February. 
The fourth office I called gave me an appointment for this week provided I would go to their Brandon office (30 minute drive) and that I would settle for being seen by the nurse practitioner.  Sure, why not?
The fun continued when I called the closest imaging center to try to schedule my mammogram.  Call, put on hold for 10 minutes, call gets dropped.  Repeat three more times.  I wised up on the fourth attempt by pressing “O” for operator instead of choosing the option of pressing 2 for scheduling.   The operator put me right through to the scheduler resulting in the following exchange.
“I would like to make an appointment, hopefully before the end of the month so I can take advantage of this years’ allowance.”(I am entitled to one preventative doctor visit per calendar year)
“Okay, who is your prescribing doctor?”
“I don’t need a prescription.”
“Yes you do.”
“No, I don’t.  I have been getting my mammograms at (I named the place) for years and have never had to provide a prescription.  I just make the appointment.”
“Well I don’t how they do things there but the State of Florida requires a prescription and I cannot give you an appointment without one.”
“Okay, I have an appointment with a new doctor on Thursday.  If I get a prescription then will I still be able to get an appointment before the end of the month.”
“I wouldn’t count of it because we are filling up fast.”
“Okay, so I can make the appointment now and then have the new doctor’s office fax or email the prescription on Thursday?”
“NO-we cannot make the appointment without a prescription.”
After going back and forth a few more times I finally said “thanks” and hung up.  What was I thanking her for?  I guess the manners that were instilled in me since childhood have me automatically saying thank you even when there was no action to be thanked for.
I just might have to make that hour drive up to Spring Hill to get my mammogram.  ERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
After lunch Monte and I drove into Sun City Center for my 2PM dental appointment.  We also stopped in at Sam’s Club and Walmart to pick up a few items.
Tuesday-

I was up just in time to say goodbye to Monte as he was leaving for his long commute to work (a short walk across the compound).

 
 
 
 
At 1PM I walked over to the shop to remind Monte of his 2PM dentist appointment. 
 Good thing I did because he was so engrossed in what he was doing he had forgotten and lost track of time.

Wednesday-
The following is an excerpt from the piece I posted two years ago on our anniversary. (December 10, 2014)

Monte and I celebrated our anniversary today.   We were destined to meet.  The reason I believe we were fated to be together is because of all the events that had to happen for us to meet.  I am originally from New York and relocated to Florida for a job.  Monte also moved from Illinois to Florida for a job.  We were both single and decided to give Match.Com a chance at the same time.  When I first enrolled in the on-line dating service I had limited my parameters in distance to 3o miles and the age of the male I was seeking to below 50.  I met some real interesting men but none of them was “the” one.  I was ready to give up but decided to give it one more try and widened the distance parameter to 60 miles from my location and the age of the male to 55. 

When I hit “enter” the first profile that popped up was Monte’s.  I got a real sense of the type of person he was when I read his remarks.  I e-mailed him.  He called me.  We made a date to meet and I knew after the first encounter that I was in “trouble”. 
That fateful meeting was eleven years ago.  It was my idea to sell almost everything we own to live a nomadic life and I couldn’t have asked for a better partner to do it with than Monte.
It has kind of become a tradition for us to have our anniversary dinner at Applebee’s.
 
 It was a lovely evening as we reminisced while we enjoyed a delicious dinner. 

 Thursday-I called the imaging center in Brooksville where I have been getting my mammograms for years to set up an appointment.  I was asked who my doctor was.  I explained that I was in between doctors at this time and the response was, “That’s okay with your insurance you can self-prescribe.”  THANK YOU!  I was able to get an appointment for tomorrow. 
I worked on decorations for my parents’ upcoming surprise 60th wedding anniversary.  My brother and sister-in-law are hosting the party in their house. 
 My parents think they will be attending a “holiday” party. 
 
I will be relieved when it is over because every time I speak to my mom I have to worry about giving away the secret.
 
 
 
In the afternoon Monte and I drove to Brandon for my doctor appointment. 
We returned to the park at dusk.  I don’t know who was more surprised as we rounded a bend in the road-this deer or us?  Unfortunately, by the time I was able to get the camera out of my purse all I was able to get was this blurry image.  I have seen many deer, especially since going on the road, but I still get excited when I see one.

 
Sunset pictures take at our compound.

Friday-We had a lot of places we wanted to stop at today so we got an early start.  Our first stop was at Werner Boyce Salt Springs State Park in Port Richey.
  We wanted to check out the park for a possible future volunteer opportunity. 
 
 
Our timing was great because when we arrived, the ranger in charge of maintenance had just returned to the park from an errand.  He gave us a tour pointing out different projects they have planned.  Just before we left we were introduced to the park manager. 
After leaving the park we continued north to Brooksville where I had an appointment for my yearly mammogram at the imaging center I have been going to for years.
While we were in the area we stopped in at the house we still own and rent out. 
 The tenant wasn’t home so we continued on to our favorite pizza place to order a pie to take with us.  In my opinion, Tito’s Pizza has the best pizza in Spring Hill.  The owners are originally from Brooklyn and it is the best New York pizza outside of New York.

 
It was dark when we arrived home.  I had the camera ready just in case we spotted deer-None tonight.
Saturday- Most of the day was taken up with boring chores including laundry and shopping.  I also spent some time preparing cocktail meatballs with three different types of sauces-my contribution to my parent’s anniversary party.

No comments:

Post a Comment