Tuesday, October 21, 2014


October 20, 2014
Travel day from Wake Forest, NC
To Cheraw, SC
I set the alarm for 7AM because we had a 150 mile drive ahead of us and we had a target time of 10AM to pull out of the campground. 
We enjoyed our time at Holly Point-my only complaint being that the site had dead grass and when it rained it became a muddy mess.
It was only 9:30 by the time Monte finished dumping the tanks so we were actually ahead of schedule.
 
 
 
The drive was uneventful as we traveled mostly on country roads and occasionally through small towns.
 
When we arrived at Cheraw State Park we discovered there were two entrances-one for the day use area and golf course and the other one contained a boat ramp and the campground.
I normally follow Monte but today I went ahead of him as we approached the turn for the park.  As soon as I passed the entrance I realized it was not the entrance for the campground so I radioed Monte not to follow me.

He went to the second entrance.  When I caught up with him we realized there was no office to register.  So I called the number I had listed for the park.  The clerk read me a list of available sites and instructed us to call back when we choose one and we can register on the phone.
We chose number 3, a large pull-through. 
While Monte began getting level, I called the office to complete registration by giving a credit card number. 
 The site cost $20/night-very reasonable for a State campground.
After getting level, Monte began the outside set-up while I took care of inside.  I raised the TV antenna to see what stations we could receive.  While I was doing that I heard Monte say, “Oh, s—t.”
I rushed out to see what was wrong—when I put the bedroom slide out it hadn’t cleared a tree.  This had never happened to us before.  We always check the perimeter of the rig to make sure we have enough clearance for the slides.  In this case, Monte has measured the lower part of the tree but didn’t take into consideration that the tree slanted toward the rig higher up.  We only needed one inch more of clearance!
So after being almost all set up we had to bring in the slides, hitch up and move over a few inches.  And, of course, by doing that we had to re-level.

 
 
 
When we were finally all set up, Monte tried unsuccessfully to get a satellite signal from our roof-mounted dish.  Since we were only planning on being in this park for two days we had hoped to avoid having to set up the portable tripod satellite.  But it didn’t take long for Monte to get it set up and call Dish to give our new address so we could get the local channels.
While Monte was getting the satellite set up I took advantage of the lovely weather to sit outside doing some crossword puzzles.   
After dinner we took a walk around the campground.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment