Tuesday, July 30, 2013

July 29, 2013

Humbug Mountain State Park, OR
It was our day so off we decided to take the 120 mile round trip into Coos Bay to do some shopping.
We caught sight Sarah, one of the rangers, who was setting up an underwater camera at a beaver dam located at the entrance to the camp. 
Our first stop was at an RV supply store where Monte browsed and browsed and browsed.  I’m sure glad I brought a book along to read.  I’m not really complaining because with all that browsing and he only spent $50.
Next stop,
 
 
 
  
The Dollar Tree for me
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 and luckily for Monte there was a Big 5 right next door.  He did some more browsing but didn’t buy anything.

 
 We planned on doing our main shopping in Walmart.  We ended up going there twice.  The first trip was for a long overdue oil change for my car.  While Monte took care of that I splurged on a pedicure and a haircut.  I lucked out at both places, walking in when there were no other customers.  I ended up being done at the same time as the oil change.
We were getting pretty hungry at this point and although Coos Bay has a large selection of restaurants we ended up going to Sizzler. 
 
  
 We had eaten there last month on my birthday and had been happy with our meals.

 
  
 
 
I finished off my meal with some fruit but Monte had ice cream.  Do you think he enjoyed it?

Back at Walmart, we bought so much that we used two carts.  
 
 
 
 
 
 We hadn’t done big shopping for 5 weeks and for the first time in a year our freezer was almost empty.
 

 
There was only one check out available that wasn’t express with less than 20 items.  This guy in front of us in line said all this bread for a month’s supply for 6 people.  WOW they must really like bread.

 
 
  
I asked Monte to guess how much our bill was going to be.  He thought it would add up to around $200.  Even I was a little surprised at the total.  Ouch!

That is almost our entire food budget for August.  But there were some non-food items in that total like an ink cartridge and a lot of paper goods.
It took me over an hour to put everything away. 
 
 
Notice my little helper? 
I bought large packages of meat that I portioned out in freezer bags and took almost all the things that come in cardboard out to put in containers.  This accomplishes two things-taking up less room and protected against critters. 

1 comment:

  1. If you like Italian the next trip to Coos Bay you should try a place down town called Mario's. I think I remember the name correctly. It's been a while since we have been there.

    ReplyDelete