Friday, July 5, 2013

June 30, 2013


Big move from Cape Blanco State Park to Humbug Mountain State Park
Today we made the big move from Cape Blanco to Humbug Mountain State Park.  The distance between the parks is less than 20 miles and it took us approximately 40 minutes to make the trip.

 
 
We have been in the same spot for a month so it took a little longer to pack up.  Because it was such a short trip we were able to take our time making the move.

 
 
When I was finished with my indoor chores I took one last walk down to the bluff overlooking the beach. 
 
 
 
 
 Unfortunately the visibility was limited because of the fog.
 
Monte was still doing his outdoor chores when I returned from my walk so I sat on the picnic bench working on a crossword puzzle.  He asked me for assistance and when I got to get up I tripped and fell.  I landed on my back, hit my head on the ground and scrapped my hand and wrist on the gravel when I tried to stop my fall.  I’m sure I’m going to be sore tomorrow.
Monte hitched up and pulled out of the spot effortlessly and
 
 
 
 
 
despite the sharp corners and we were on our way. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As usual, I followed Monte in my car.  At one point I noticed something fly off the back of the rig.  As I drove past the object it appeared to be a bungee cord.  I called Monte to let him know and he asked me to turn around and try to find the cord.  I found it without any problem.  There was no shoulder on the road but luckily there were no cars coming as I stopped, put the flashers on and ran out to grab the cord.
We had already seen the site we were assigned during a prior visit to the park so we knew it was going to be a challenge to back into. 
 
 
 
 
Monte had to go back and forth several times
 
 
 
 
 
 
until he was satisfied with the placement of the rig on the site.
We were in the process of getting settled when Greg, our Park Manager, came by to welcome us and invite us to attend a program on gray whales he was going to present at 3PM.
We borrowed the cart from our neighbors, the campground hosts, and drove down to the JR Ranger station.  The program, in addition to being very informative, gave us an idea of how programs should be offered.
Back home, we finished setting up.  When we searched for a signal on the satellite I was relieved that we were able to receive all of our favorite channels especially since we are going to be here for two months.
 After dinner, we walked up to the ranger station and sat with Greg for about an hour going over the schedule, receiving keys and materials we would need for the program. 
Tomorrow, Monte and I will go through the kits and decide which programs we want to present over the next week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment