Friday, July 5, 2013

July 4, 2013 Humbug Mountain State Park

        Our program today was entitled “Bird Beak Buffet”.  After picking up the cart at the ranger station we drove around the park inviting all the kids we encountered to attend the program but only three little girls showed up.  It was nice to have a small group because we could give them individual attention. 
We had set up 5 stations.  Each station had a picture of a bird, some household tools and some items that particular bird liked to eat.  We asked the girls to guess which tool most closely resembled the bird’s type of beak.

 
We still had some time left at the end of the program so I gave them some coloring pages to color. 

 
 
 
 
We spent the rest of the day going over the next couple of days’ programs.  One of the kits was missing some pictures and the other kit didn’t have any hand outs.  So Monte and I created a couple of games. 
At 5PM we had firewood duty.  Last night we only sold a couple of bundles all evening.  Tonight it seemed to me that there were non-stop customers looking to buy wood. 
When our shift ended at 8PM we took a ride into Port Orford to attend the fireworks display scheduled to take place at Battle Rock. 
 
 
 
 
 
We found a parking spot one block away from Battle Rock.
There were quite a few people already waiting on blankets and chairs. 
 
 
 
 
I was glad we had brought along our chairs.  It was chilly.  I had a ski cap in my pocket so I was okay but Monte ended up using a small blanket we had brought along to wrap himself up as best as he could.  It was a really small blanket!

We had rushed over as soon as our shift was over but could have waited until 9:30 to come because it didn’t start getting dark until almost 10PM.
I didn't realize until I looked at the pictures later on that I had a SPIDER in my hood!!!!
OMG--If I had know it at the time I would have freaked out.
Just when we thought the fireworks were going to start, we noticed there was a little fire further down the beach. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The little fire turned in a major fire that had the firemen standing by at Battle Rock rushing off. 
 
The fire came very close to a couple of houses but was put out before it could do any damage.

 
 
 
 
 
By the time the fireworks began at 11PM I was tired and ready to leave.  We only stayed 15 minutes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment