Friday, November 23, 2012


November 22, 2012

Oasis Palms RV Park

Thermal, CA

We had some bananas that were a little overripe to eat but just right for banana bread so I pulled out my recipe book and started gathering all the ingredients.  I had only used the convection part of my microwave one time so I had to re-familiarize myself with how to preheat the oven.   The recipe called for the bread to bake for one hour but not knowing how much time to adjust for convection cooking I set it for 40 minutes.  I should have set it for 30 minutes because it over baked.  Lesson learned.

Monte and I spent a couple of hours alternating between lounging around and taking dips in the pool.  It was a picture perfect day with not a cloud in sight.   We returned home just in time for me to put my green bean casserole in the oven and get ready for dinner.  The resort owners host pot luck dinners on all the major holidays.  When we arrived at the game room we found the tables decorated with tablecloths and candles and the delightful aroma of just out of the oven turkey.  We hadn’t had lunch so we were pretty hungry. 





 

There was an impressive array of food on the buffet table to which I added cranberry sauce and chocolate cream pie in addition to the green bean casserole.    We did not have to be told twice to help ourselves.  Monte went right for the turkey and I showed some restraint by starting with salad.  We had a very nice time getting to know some of the other guests.  We were the last ones to leave because we really enjoyed sitting with our hosts and the resort owners, Bill, his son Ryan, daughter Leann and her husband.  We have stayed at quite a few RV camps and resorts in the last four months since we embarked on our journey and have met some really nice owners and camp hosts but Bill and his son are the nicest by far.  We have moved Oasis Palms RV to the top of our list of places we would want to return to.

Every year I reaffirm my gratitude on this special day set aside for thanksgiving including being blessed to have the most awesome parents in the world, being blessed with children and grandchildren, my brother and his family and (knock on wood) good health.   But this year I have the added blessing of being in the position to be able to have extraordinary adventures and being able to share it with my best friend Monte is one of the greatest blessings of all. 

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment