Monday, December 9, 2013

December 8, 2013
Myakka State Forest
We were invited to my parent’s house for dinner.  The last time we drove to their house we had seen a sign for the Myakka State Forest but we didn’t have time to check it out.
Today we allowed some extra time.

 
 
 
  
The Myakka State Forest is located in southern Sarasota County approximately 10 miles southeast of Venice and 7 miles west of Port Charlotte.  The majority of the forest falls within the city limits of North Port.

 
 
 
The dirt road dead-ends after approximately two miles.  On the return drive we stopped at the entrance to the campground to check it out.  There is a gate secured by a combination lock. 

 
 
 
We walked through the pedestrian access, stopping to chat with the camp host. 
 
 
 
 
  
He encouraged us to walk the loop
after we questioned him about the size of the sites.
 
Some of the sites are quite large. 
 
 
This campground is totally primitive with only one set of portable toilets (no showers) for the 10 sites.  There is no electric, no water and no dump station.
We enjoyed a very nice meal at my parent’s house.  After dinner I helped my mom put together some Christmas gift bags and then we watched a home video from 1984.  OMG!  My eyeglasses took up half my face. 
What was I thinking? 

No comments:

Post a Comment