Monday, April 15, 2013


April 14, 2013

Boondocking in Kaibab National Forest
(1/2 mile from entrance to Grand Canyon at Tusayan)
Last night sucked!  We had been warned that there was going to be high winds but after having experienced 50mph winds boondocking in Sedona I thought we were well prepared.  WE Weren’t. 
I kept waking up because of the constant fluttering of the slide toppers.  Finally at 2:30am, I told Monte I couldn’t take it anymore and he went outside and switched on the bedroom slide so we could bring it in.  Once the bedroom slide was in I managed to fall asleep and didn’t wake up until 6:30, a half hour earlier than the time I had set on the alarm clock.
After a big breakfast of bacon and eggs we got ready to leave. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I dropped of the key cards at reception and received my invoice.  All in all I was very pleased with the resort.  The only complaint I have was the spotty WiFi. 

 
 
 
After driving through the town arch,
 
 
 
 
 
  
we took I-40 for a couple of miles
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
and got off at the exit that took us to 64. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
An hour later, when we arrived in Tusayan, Monte pulled into the parking lot at McDonald’s and I continued on to the boondocking spot we had selected as our number one choice. 
 
 
 
I went ahead to make sure it was still available because the road leading to the site was very narrow and it would have been difficult for Monte to turn the rig around if the site was occupied.

 
 
 
 
I let him know that the site was clear and a few minutes later he arrived and quickly set up.

 
 
 
 
 
After getting the inside set up I sat outside enjoying the sun.  A short while later the lack of sleep got to me and I took a nap.
 
Later on in the afternoon, we gathered some wood for a fire
and then took a walk down the dirt road closest to our site.  
Back home, Monte went up on the roof and tilted the solar panels to take the best advantage of the direction of the sun on the roof.
Monte thought it was a little too windy for a fire so we just sat outside until it got too chilly to be comfortable. 
We watched TV for a couple of hours and called it an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment