Tuesday, May 21, 2013


May 17, 2013

Acorn Campground
New Hogan Lake,
Valley Springs, CA
Monte woke up earlier than me and took this picture just before sunrise.  How lucky are we to wake up to spectacular views like this one!

 
 
 
 
 
Today was moving day.  Although we didn’t have to be out of our site until 2pm, we started getting ready at 11am.  After securing everything inside, I moved my car that had been parked in front of the truck over to another site so Monte could hitch up. 
 
 
 
We discussed the merits of his driving over to the dump station to dump.  We were going to be at the campground for another week so in the end he decided it was worth dumping.  While he was gone I moved all the things we had left out including our chairs and the kayak.

 
 
We set up quickly when he returned.
 
  While Monte set up an umbrella on the picnic table (we were missing the nice pavilion we had at the other site) I made lunch. 
 
While we were eating, the people who reserved site 131 started showing up. 
 Monte had been convinced that we were going to spend a miserable weekend listening to loud music from these party animals. (As it turned out they were very quiet and actually went to sleep long before we did.)
We needed to go to the entrance booth to pick up our new tags with the site number and reserved dates for the windshield of the car and truck.  I suggested we ride our bikes there. 
There was a line starting to form when we arrived at the booth.  We waited our turn and were given our new tags. 
 We rode (sometimes I walked the bike uphill) to Oak Knoll campground.  There were still plenty of sites available. 
 
When we inquired about possibly moving there next Thursday when we have to vacate our site, we were informed that the entire campground was reserved.  BUMMER-we really like this place.
When we came to a bike trail marked on the map as strenuous, I sat under a tree while Monte explored the trail. 
Back home we took a few pictures of the “party animals” set-up.  From the gear they have I assume the group must get together quite often to camp.  While we were being nosy, they were all out on a boat.
After changing into our suits, we walked down to the water for a swim.  The water was coooooooooooold!. 
I decided to just go for it and went right in. 
 
Monte chose to do the little biddy step by step method. 
I kept coaxing him.  “Come on Honey, you can do it.”
Finally he was in up to his shoulders.
Gradually our bodies adjusted (or we just got numb) and it was very pleasant-until we got out. 
 BRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Back at our site, I sat outside and read for a while.  One of our neighbors (not with the party animals) stopped by and we chatted a bit.  She informed me that her and her husband (who is not very social-her words) tent camp at Acorn quite often.  They live two hours drive away and are contemplating selling their house and moving up to the Spring Valley area. 
When it got too chilly to sit comfortably sit outside I went in and made us a salad for dinner.  We turned on the inverter and watched the movie, Safe Haven.  I had read the book but had forgotten most of the plot.  I am a big Nicholas Sparks fan and both Monte and I enjoyed the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment