Thursday, May 23, 2013


May 23, 2013
Comstock Country RV Resort
Carson City, NV
It was very cold through the night so I didn’t sleep very well.  I had set the alarm for 7:30 because I wanted to depart by 9:30.  But I woke up naturally at 6 and decided to stay up.
When I pulled up the shades I saw a cute little bunny right outside the window.

 
 
 
 
We started prepping to leave by 8 and pulled out on time. 
 
But by the time Monte pulled around to the dump station
 and then filled up with water in anticipation of our boon docking for a few days, it was 10:30.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I took a last few pictures of our site and view.
We took CA 26 for 20 miles. 
Up one hill and down another. 
 Up one hill and down another.
  It was very stressful because the road was narrow and surprisingly for a country road, there was a lot of traffic. 
We turned into the road leading to the boon docking site I had researched in the Eldorado National Forest.  When I saw the condition of the road (huge potholes) I radioed to Monte that he should pull over when he comes across a spot large enough to park the rig.  Approximately a mile down the road we came across a spot large enough for Monte to pull over.  He got in the car with me and we continued on for another couple of miles before we agreed that it was not going to be worth going any further.
On our way back to the rig the empty fuel light came on in my car.  Great-the closest gas station was 20 miles away.  Luckily we had a full 5 gallons of gas in the container we use for the generator.

 
 
 
 
We decided we would stay right where we had pulled over.  It was close to the road but it was a pretty spot.

It was a little difficult getting into the spot because the truck tire kept spinning on the soft dirt.  But finally Monte was able to back in enough.  It took him a while to level the rig.
Shortly after we set up, Monte noticed the fridge wasn’t on so he re-set it.  But it wouldn’t stay on.  He tried troubleshooting it but nothing he did worked. 
He was able to plug the fridge into an outlet he had installed in the basement and was able to power it through the inverter showing that the problem had to be with the propane.  I read in the manual that the fridge could be affected in altitudes of over 5,500 feet.  We were over 7,000 feet!
Running the fridge on the inverter was only going to be a temporary fix because we estimated that we could only run the fridge on the inverter for 4-5 hours.
We made the decision to pack up and find a RV Park so that we could plug in the fridge. 
I looked through my Passport America book-nothing close enough.
I looked through my AAA CampBook and found a couple of places in Carson City, fifty miles away.  We hoped it would be a big enough city with a place the fridge could be serviced.  We also realized it was a holiday weekend!
I called the first place and they didn’t have any availability.  I called the second place and was informed that with our AAA discount the rate would be $38/night.  Ouch. 
The views on the way to Carson City were spectacular. 
 There was still snow on the ground in some of the places we passed.  
 
 
 
 
 I was pretty stressed by this time so I didn’t enjoy the scenery as much as I would have liked to.
We arrived at the Comstock Country RV Park after hours so the office was closed.  We followed the instructions on the door for late check-in and found an available spot.
We set up quickly and went in search of a pizza place.  We settled on Little Caesars because they are supposed to have a “Hot and Ready” pizza with no wait time.  I told Monte I would wait in the car because I expected him to only be gone a few minutes.
35 minutes later he returned to the car!  Really—HOT AND READY!
Waiting that long for a pizza was kind of par for the course with the way our day was going.
Monte researched places we might be able to call in the morning.  We are kind of in bad situation because it is a holiday weekend so we may not be able to get the fridge looked at until Tuesday and $38/night is out of our budget.  The park we are staying at is kind of a no-frill place but on the plus side, the WiFi is excellent.
We’ll have to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment