Tuesday, May 21, 2013


May 18, 2013

Acorn Campground
New Hogan Lake,
Valley Springs, CA
It was wonderful sleeping weather last night-cool enough to need a light blanket. 
We slept in kind of late for us-8:30.  I spent the morning getting caught up on financials.  Our WiFi is very spotty but I was able to access my bank account to reconcile it. 
I also worked on our budget. (We are TRYING to live on a budget to prevent overspending).  When I created our budget I hadn’t factored in future expenses like new tires for our three vehicles. (Truck, rig and my car- Monte mentioned that at the rate of travel we are currently doing we may need new tires in as little as four years). I want to start allotting money each month for a tire fund so I spent a little time seeing where I could cut our monthly spending and divert that money to the fund. 
This is our view from the window above Monte’s desk.  It is quite different from the view at site 131. We had discussed the possibility of remaining in this site for the rest of our stay here at Acorn.  (We are supposed to move back over to site 131 Sunday afternoon after the current campers leave.)  BUT I really like 131 better so I think we will make the move. 
We took a bike ride in the late afternoon. 
 
Monte wanted to try one of the more strenuous trails he had noticed on our ride yesterday.  We rode over to Oak Knoll campground.  When we arrived at the beginning of the trail, I found a shady spot and settled down with a book while Monte rode off.
 
When he came back 40 minutes later I could tell something was wrong-he had taken a spill because his bike is not designed for the type of trail he was on.   He was lucky he only came away with a few scrapes.  I am sure he is going to be sore tomorrow.  I wish he had been wearing a GoPro camera because I would have been able to see what he saw as he was falling.
 
 
 
 
Back home, I cleaned his wounds and sprayed on some Bactine. 
For dinner I made chicken enchiladas on the grill.  I used the aluminum baking dish that comes with a wire grill from our toaster oven.  It fits in our small propane grill. I layered the pan, first with crumbled up aluminum foil then the wire grill on top creating a space between the enchiladas and the bottom of the pan to prevent burning.  All the ingredients in the enchilada were already cooked so I really only had to bake them long enough to melt the cheese.  The enchilada came out great and by lining everything with foil clean up was easy.
We took a walk around the campground after dinner.  It was interesting seeing most campers were using tents not RV’s. 
Back home we watched the movie Men in Black III.  It was hilarious.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch!!! Better put those little wheels back on your bike Monte...just kidding.
    Dianne took a spill last week...following too close to me and not noticing the oncoming bike, then applying too much front brake. Other than skinning her hand I think she was more embarrassed than hurt.

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete