Monday, February 10, 2014

February 9-16, 2014
RV Dreams Boondocking Rally
Arcadia, FL
DAY ONE
We had a target departure time of 11AM so I set the alarm for 7. 
By the time Monte dumped the tanks, filled the water tank and hitched up we didn’t end up pulling out until 11:45. 
It was a little tight getting out of our spot but Monte makes it look so easy.
Monte waited around the corner for me-after he pulled out I had to move my car into our site.
Usually when we travel, Monte drives the rig and I follow in my car.  BUT since we had a “home” base of the RV Park and were only going to travel 40miles and be away for a week, I left my car behind.  SO driving in the truck with Monte was a new experience for me.  (The one and only other time I drove with him was a short 10 minute drive when we stayed at Antelope Island State Park in Utah.  There is a fee to cross the causeway to reach the park.  I elected to leave my car parked in the lot next to the toll booth for the two days we stayed at the park)
We were greeted by our host, Linda of RV Dreams, at the entrance to the field where the rally was going to take place.  Friends of Linda and Howard graciously offered their property for use for the rally.

 
There is a lake just past the entrance.
Howard was waiting to guide us into our spot. 
He directed us to a spot where we would have plenty of sun for our solar panels.
It is nice and level-we didn't have to use any leveling blocks.
There were five or six rigs already set up when we arrived, but within a short time many more arrived.   The setup is very cozy, with rigs in a circle surrounding a large area for gathering around the campfire.

 
 
As I was setting up I noticed a Pace Arrow pulling into a spot directly across from us.   Could that be Gina?  We had met her at the RV Dreams Rally held in Harrisburg, OR back in September of 2012 along with two other female solo RVers, Kyra and DJ. 
I walked across and sure enough I got a very warm greeting from Gina, Kyra and DJ.  I also met another female solo RVer, Arlene.  It was great sitting around catching up with the girls.
I am so impressed with these ladies.  Not only do they drive their own rigs but some of them even tow a truck or car. 
DJ showed me a picture that she had taken in Sedona last May when she and Gina had ended up boondocking in the same spot that Monte and I had been in the prior month.  They knew it was our spot because we had left a small memorial for our cat, Pumpkin, who had wandered away from there.  DJ had a picture of her cat in front of the memorial.  They told me every day they called out to Pumpkin-just in case he was still around.  BUT he wasn’t.
We all walked over to tour a BIG truck that had Monte drooling.  It was very roomy inside. 
 
 
 
 
 
It had a table, pull down bed, microwave and refrigerator.  WOW.  Gina asked if she could drive the rig and the owner said maybe later in the week. 

 
 
There is room for the smart car between the truck and rig! 
Soon after our tour, a Blue Bird motor coach arrived and we got to tour it as well. 
 
 
 
The owners had just bought it and were still getting used to all the dials and buttons on the instrument panel. 
 
 
 
 
 
For a rig without slide-outs, the Blue Bird is pretty roomy inside.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Soon it was time for cocktails
---and hot dogs.
 
And more cocktails..
 
And more hotdogs
Chatting over hotdogs and cocktails-there is a mix of people attending the rally--some are full timers, some are trying to decide if they want to full time and others just take their rigs out for a month or so and still maintain a bricks and sticks home base. 
 
 
Linda went over the itinerary for the week.

 
 
 
When the sun went down it was time to change into long pants
 and join the group already assembled around the camp fire.

WHAT a great start to what I am sure is going to be a FUN week.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment