Saturday, August 25, 2012


August 24, 2012

Devils Tower, Wyoming

Last night we looked forward to watching the season finale of one of our favorite shows, BURN NOTICE.    We were able to get a very clear picture but there was a terrible hum so we ended up putting the volume on mute and reading the closed caption.

 We still didn’t know where we were going to stay as we got ready to leave Hearthland Campground.  We headed out with the town of Gillette, WY as our destination because we didn’t want to travel more than 180 miles.  When we crossed the border into Wy, we stopped at the visitor center and were quite impressed at how clean and nice it was.








  I took several booklets including one for Devil’s Tower.  Monte wanted to go there so I asked the greeter at the visitor center how far away it was and how far out of our way we would have to travel.  She told me it was 41 miles from the center’s location and only 20 miles out of our way.  So we decided to check it out.

The road we were on was very winding with a series of twists and turns bringing us up the mountain and then down the mountain.  My little car was straining and I couldn’t help wondering how Monte was making out with the truck and 5th wheel.  He later told me it was a little hairy on some of the curves which signs had 25 mph as the speed limit.  There were also warnings for trucks to use lower gears.


 

As we approached the entrance to Devil’s Tower I called Monte to tell him that I probably should park at the restaurant that was located just before the entrance to the tower.  His admittance would be free because he has the America the Beautiful Senior pass but I would have to pay $10 if I drove into the park in my car.  So I hopped in the truck with him.  When he showed his pass I asked the ranger is there was any camping site available.  She said there were plenty and if we wanted to camp it would cost us $6 and we could pay her.  I mentioned my car and she said that as long as I was camping with Monte she wouldn’t charge me for my car.  So I got out of the truck and walked back to the restaurant parking lot and got my car.  We found the campground pretty quickly and after going around the circle a couple of times Monte picked out the site he wanted.


 

We quickly set up, got our gear together and headed up the mountain to the Visitors Center.( A quick history of Devils Tower: In 1906 President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed Devils Tower the first National Monument under the new Antiquities Act.  His action made Wyoming the home of both our first national park-Yellowstone in 1872- and our first national monument.  During the Great Depression, the Civilian Conservation Corps built road improvements, camping, picnicking facilities, and a museum.)  If found out that there was a program planned for the evening that would take place near our campsite.  The program was to consist of a concert and a storyteller.  It sounds interesting.  I think we will check it out.  Tomorrow also happens to be the anniversary of Devil’s Tower becoming a National Monument and there are festivities scheduled for that as well.  I am not sure if we will be staying for that.
After stamping my passport we picked the trail we wanted to take. 




 There are several trails of varying degrees difficulty and length. 




 We chose the Tower Trail, a meandering path that circles the tower for 1.3 miles.  I had to stop many times along the way to catch my breath.  I really hope that eventually, after regularly hiking trails, I will be able to do these kinds of hikes without breaking a sweat.  There were several climbers scaling the tower.  If you look closely at one of the pictures of the tower we took you might be able to make them out.

 

We came across one area with an overlook and I took a rest on the bench and tried to figure out what was different about this spot than any other spot I had been to.  Then it dawned on me-it was the utter quiet.  Other than the sound of the birds swooping by or the chipmunks chattering, I didn’t hear a thing.  It was great. 

As I sat there and looked out over the mountain I was filled with a total calmness I hadn’t felt in a long time.  It had been a stressful few months leading up to our departure and moments like I was experiencing made it all worth it.

I also felt this tremendous feeling of gratitude sitting there.  I was grateful to have been born in a beautiful country.  I was grateful to have been blessed with amazing parents.  I was grateful and proud to have a son serving this country.  I was grateful to have such a wonderful daughter who I am very proud of and who has given me two wonderful granddaughters and brought Deb into my life whom I consider a daughter.  I was grateful for having a wonderful big brother and “Sister”-in –law.  And looking at Monte taking pictures I was very grateful to God for sending me someone who cherishes me and has a heart of gold.  As a bonus through Monte I have three adorable grandsons and two “daughters”.  As I sat there thanking God for all my blessings I began to cry.  It felt wonderful to cry tears of joy and finally I was so very grateful to just be alive and to be in a position to be experiencing moments like this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment