Sunday, January 26, 2014

January 24, 2014
Englewood, FL
It was another chilly day.  We only ventured out to Walmart to pick up groceries and a couple of gifts to bring with us to Pinellas Park tomorrow when we visit Monte’s daughter and grandsons. 

 
 
  
 
In the afternoon, it had warmed up enough for me to sit outside (bundled up) reading while Monte took apart a dish one of the residents gave him for parts.

In the evening we watched, The Ultimate Life, a sequel to the movie, The Ultimate Gift.  Both movies are feel-good films leaving the viewer smiling.
January 24th has significance to me because it is my daughter Renee’s birthday.  35 years ago today I welcomed into the world one of the best persons I have ever known.  Now I know I may be a little biased because she is my daughter, but anyone who has met Renee and knows her would agree.  One of her very best qualities is her big heart and her capacity to love unconditionally. 
Renee had a rough start in life being born 6 weeks premature.  Because the hospital she was born in did not have the equipment to handle premature babies, she was transferred to a nearby County Hospital that had an outstanding Neo-natal wing.  The first 48 hours were touch and go and I was told by her doctor that it was literally in Gods’ hand.
 I had to stay in the hospital where I had given birth so I didn’t get to hold my baby.   When I was discharged two days later I went to the hospital where Renee was and was shocked to see how small she was.  The prognosis was not good.  BUT very shortly after I put my hand through the opening in the isolette and took her tiny little hand in mine, her color changed from a pasty grey to pink.   Even though it took a month for her to be well enough to come home, that moment had been the turning point.   Was it timing or miracle? 
Because she had been born early, her lungs had not been fully mature, and as a consequence, she is an asthmatic.  I remember many, many trips to the ER in the middle of the night because she couldn’t breathe and years of driving to the doctor’s office for weekly allergy shots.  But that didn’t stop her from participating in different activities including baseball, soccer, Girl Scouts, dance and ROTC. 
Renee was an absolute sweetie pie as a baby, then a toddler and as a young girl.  We had some typical Mother/Daughter drama when she was a teenager but we got through it. 
My daughter has given me so much joy over the years and eight years ago she doubled that joy by giving me twin granddaughters.  I LOVE YOU RENEE.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Picture taken on Renee's Birthday one year ago.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment