Thursday, January 9, 2014

January 8, 2014
Englewood & North Port, FL
Monte braved the cold and walked the short distance to the club house for the monthly pancake breakfast. 
I worked on some party decorations for my Dad’s 80th birthday party that will be held at the Elk’s Club next week.
I dragged out my Cricut machine 
and had craft things all over the rig.
In the early evening we drove the short distance to my brother’s house so we could car pool with them to Applebee’s where we met up with my parents for a birthday celebration.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The birthday "boy" 
Mom and Dad 
Sister-in-law, Margaret and brother, Jon 
 
When the waitress brought Dad his birthday treat she apologized for being the only server to come to the table to sing Happy Birthday to him.
After dinner we were invited to Frank and Ruth’s house who are friends of my parents.  My father was pleasantly surprised to see that other friends had been invited as well.  Ruth baked my father his favorite German cake, bienenstich or bee sting cake. 
I had never tasted the cake before.  It has a sugary-almond crunchy crust and a vanilla pudding so I thought it was going to be very rich and sweet.  Still being very full from dinner, Monte and I shared one piece.  The cake was delicious and surprisingly was not too sweet or rich.
Following the cake, Frank treated us to a traditional German Christmas drink of Gluhwein, a mulled wine.
The process of making the wine is part of the overall experience.
Frank heated up red wine in a copper pot.  Then he placed a sugar cone on a utensil that resembles a garden spade with holes.  He poured rum over the sugar and lit it up-the holes in the spade allowed the sugar to melt into the pot.
It had been a very pleasant way to celebrate the birthday of an amazing person.  Happy Birthday Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment