Thursday, December 27, 2012


December 24-26, 2012

Desert Sky

Christmas Eve

We both took Nyquil last night and didn’t wake up until almost 10am.  We were expected at my daughter Renee’s house around 1pm so we really didn’t have that much time to just lounge around.  We had to clear everything out of the trunk of my car to fit the laundry basket.  Because we hadn’t done wash in a week it was full.  We also had to pack the Christmas gifts and our travel bag because we were planning on sleeping over. 

Renee and I spent the afternoon making things for the girls’ bedrooms.  We made giant letters of their initials on my Cricket Machine.  To give the letters some depth we traced them on foam board, cut them out and then glued them to the paper letters.  While we were crafting, Monte assembled the desks and desk chairs we had bought for the twins.

Deb, Renee’s partner, made lasagna for dinner along with garlic bread.  It was delicious but I used some self control and did not overeat because I wanted to leave room for dessert.  My self control went right out the window when I had to choose what to have- blueberry pie, pumpkin pie or Deb’s homemade cheesecake.  So I solved the dilemma by having a sliver of each.  And of course I had to put whipped cream on top!

After everyone was stuffed we settled onto the couch to watch Christmas Vacation.  It had been so long since I had seen that movie that it was like watching it for the first time.  We watched a couple of other shows and went to bed around 2am.  Since the twins were with their dad we didn’t have to worry about being woken up early with the announcement that, “Santa had been there.”

I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas!

 

Christmas

We slept in until around 10am on Christmas morning.  After exchanging gifts, we played a few games of SkipBo while the aroma from the pot roast cooking in the oven was making our mouths water.  When the timer went off, I added carrots and quartered potatoes to the pot and returned it to the oven for an additional hour.  Renee had invited her friend Dennis, who she knows doesn’t have family in the area and would have spent Christmas alone, to join us for dinner.  The roast had shrunk down but between the sides dishes and the dinner rolls there was enough to go around. 

After dinner Monte, Deb and Dennis spent a couple of hours outside assembling the trampoline that Deb and Renee had purchased for the girls as a Christmas present.  I took some pictures at the different stages of assembly.  And of course, when it was all put together I had to be the one to test it out.  I couldn’t believe how winded I was after only 5 or 6 jumps.  I tried consoling myself by saying it was because I was not over my cold yet and having difficulty breathing had nothing to do with my age.  Right. 

But seriously, as the day wore on I started coughing and my head was very congested.

At the same time the trampoline was being assembled, Renee and I were inside making blotters for the desks Monte and I bought the girls for Christmas.  We cut to size poster board and embellished them with decals.  Then taped the poster board to foam board to give it more substance and then covered the entire thing with clear contact paper.  We were really pleased with the end result.

After dessert, we packed up the car and went home where I was a couch potato the rest of the evening.

Day after Christmas

The cold has moved into my chest during the night.  It really hurt when I coughed and I started considering going to a clinic for some meds.  I spent the entire day in bed watching one episode after another of a show on Hulu called Heartland.  Monte had to go to Walgreens to get me some more Nyquil and while he was out he picked up a pizza at Little Caesars.  I haven’t been sick like this in a while and I am really regretting not getting my flu shot this year.  I will make a decision tomorrow about going to a clinic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment