Sunday, September 29, 2013

September 27, 2013

Cedar Breaks National Monument, UT
Prior to coming to this area I had never heard of Cedar Breaks National Monument.  Seeing it was less than an hour drive we decided to check it out.
The views alone, on the way to Cedar Breaks, were well worth the drive. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The trees have already begun to turn magnificent colors. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
We began at 5,400feet and slowly climbed to over 10,600 feet. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After taking our, what had become, traditional picture at the entrance sign to the monument we drove to the Visitor Center
 
 
 
 
 
where I stamped my passport and attempted to warm my hands by the fireplace.

 
 
 
 
  
 
It was very cold. 
We hadn’t dressed for such cold tempts or to be in snow. 
Snow!

 
 
 
 
 
We made it less than a quarter mile up a trail
 
 
 
 
 
  
when I said I wanted to turn around. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The altitude was kicking my butt-
I couldn’t catch my breath
and I was FREEZING. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Once back in the car we explored a few different dirt roads to see where they led.  One led to a navigation dome
and the entrance to a trail.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
One brought us up and then down a very bad road. 
I wanted to turn around because there were tree limbs blocking the road.  Monte got out of the car and moved the limbs and we continued on.
The road dead-ended at parking area with a sign for Crystal Springs.   Just as we arrived a couple of hunters were leaving.  Monte inquired how far the springs were and they responded, “Not far.”

 
 
 
 
I decided to sit in the car and read while Monte went exploring. 
 He took two different trails but never did find the springs.
 
The final dirt road we explored was just outside of the town of Cedar City. 
 
 
We were rewarded with spectacular views of the city and were surprised when we came across large, beautiful houses.
The road eventually led us to Cedar City where we stopped at Sports Authority and Walmart before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment