Tuesday, September 10, 2013


September 9, 2013
From Wells, NV
To Antelope Island State Park, UT
We were packed up and ready to leave our little green oasis by 10AM. 
Out route continued on I-80 for approximately 160 Miles. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We stopped in West Wendover to fuel up.  
 
 
 
 
 
  
Gas was $3.59 and diesel $4.09.  With our Pilot savings card I saved 2 cents per gallon and Monte saved 3 cents per gallon. 

 
 
 
 
 
Within a few miles after gassing up we crossed over into Utah.

 
 
 
 
Sign for Bonneville Flats Speedway.
The scenery was kind of surreal. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I kept seeing water ahead of me and to the sides of the road in the distance but as I got closer I realized it was a mirage. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Not sure what this was for.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We stopped at the Grassy Mountain Rest Area for lunch.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
An hour later we arrived at the gate for Antelope Island State Park.  Monte radioed back that it was going to cost $12 for camping and an additional $3 for the causeway fee for the truck and rig and it would cost an additional $10 for my vehicle and $3 for the causeway fee.  WHAT!
The ticket booth clerk suggested I park my car in the lot adjacent to the booth saving us $13 for one night and $10 for the second night.
I pulled into the lot and grabbed the things I felt I would need and drove with Monte across the causeway.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Antelope Island is the largest island in Great Salt Lake. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It is home to free roaming bison, bighorn sheep, mule deer, and pronghorn antelope.

 
 
 
 
 
 
On the drive to the campground, it didn’t take long for us to view some antelope and bison. 
We were assigned site 26.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Monte disposing of our hitchhiker.
 
We sat outside until dinner time just taking in the beauty and quiet of our surroundings. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The only thing that marred the experience was the flies.
After dinner we took a walk around the campground loop just as the sun was setting.  
 
AAAAAHHHHH!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment