Tuesday, January 15, 2013


January 14, 2013

Desert Sky

When I still lived in Florida, it was a two hour drive from my house to visit my parents.  We tried to go once a month for a couple of days.  When we did, one of the things that Mom and I did was to go shopping.  It had been over six months since we went out together, so when she first arrived in Arizona last week, Mom told me to make sure I plan one day of shopping.  Today was the day and it felt just like old times.  As a bonus for me my daughter, Renee (who does not really like to shop) came with us.  She even picked me up so that Monte would not have to drive me to her house, go back home, and then come back to her house at dinner time.  

We started off at one of Mom’s favorite stores, Bealls Outlet, before moving on to the 99 cent store.  Our best find was finding a 6 ct. of red peppers for 99 cents!  After lunch at Wendy’s we shopped at Kohl’s.  I did not buy one single thing.  Shopping is a different experience now that I live in a small space.  I don’t need any clothes (I seriously need to do some purging as my closet is bulging and I tend to wear the same things over and over again) and I certainly don’t need nor could I fit any household items.  So, most of our shopping these days is confined to grocery stores or Camping World for rig-related items such as maintenance or cleaning supplies.

But shopping expeditions with my mom is not really about buying things-it is about our spending time together and I am sure going to be a little blue next week when her and my dad leave to fly back to sunny Florida. 

Back at Renee’s house, Deb used the peppers Mom bought to make a delicious stir-fry for dinner.  I was kind of tired so we called it an early night and were back home by 8pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment