Wednesday, January 16, 2013


January 15, 2013

Desert Sky

We planned a hike for today.  Normally I assume the role of tour guide, researching and planning where and when we will go on an excursion.  But, today, Monte took the reins and informed me that we were going to the Hyrogliphics Canyon.   The site Monte used to find directions for this particular hike (arizonahiking.org) spelled it hyrogliphics while the sign at the trailhead spelled it hieroglyphic with the words petroglyphs underneath in parenthesis.  I found this just a little confusing so I looked up the definition and according to the website Answers, A petroglyph is a rock carving. A hieroglyph is a stylized picture used to represent a word, sound or idea in writing systems such as those of the ancient Egyptians or Maya.

The two categories overlap (i.e., hieroglyphs that are carved on rock), but there are many hieroglyphs that are not petroglyphs and vice versa. 

Still confused?  So was I but that didn’t prevent me from really enjoying the hike.  To get to Hieroglyphics Canyon Monte entered the coordinates into our GPS.  We jumped on US-60 East and shortly after the expressway ends made a left onto Kings Ranch Road.  After driving approximately 2.7 miles we made a right on Baseline Avenue, then a left onto Mohican Road.  Our next turn was a left onto Valley View Road that turns into Whitetail Road and finally we made a right onto Cloudview Road leading us into the parking area at the trailhead.  It would have very difficult to find the trailhead without having the GPS coordinates.  Being that it was a Tuesday afternoon, I was surprised to see quite a few cars in the parking lot.
 
   
 
 Once Monte announced that we were going to do this hike I wanted to know more about the origins.  After an exhaustive search that only thing I discovered was that it is believed that the drawings were etched into the stone by the Hohokam, a civilization that is believed to have inhabited the Sonoran Desert from 1AD to 1450. 

Once we geared up (trekking poles, backpack for me and fanny pack for Monte) we went through the gate and after about 110 yards came across a fork in the trail. 
 
 
 
 Right would have taken us on the Lost Goldmine Trail.  We definitely want to return another day to do that hike.  We took the trail to the left that gradually climbs through the desert offering awesome panoramic views of Mesa and Apache Junction as well as cacti favorites including Saguaro and Cholla. 
 



 
 
 

We encountered several people on the trail, some passing us up from behind because I guess were going too slow for them and some passing us on their return trip from the canyon.  I personally don’t see the point in rushing so when people come up behind us, we just stand to the side and let them pass us.  Several of the websites we researched for this hike listed it as “easy”.  I would rate it as moderate because of the loose stones and some large rocks we had to maneuver over or around. 
 
 
 
 I found this to be more of a problem than Monte because I chose to wear running shoes instead of my hiking boots.  I kind of knew it was a mistake shortly after we began but did not want to return to the car to change shoes.  I also forgot my sunglasses so Monte generously let me borrow his.  His sunglasses are the type that fit over prescription glasses so they are rather large and kept sliding down my nose.  Oh well, borrowers cannot be choosy and I was grateful to have them as the sun was pretty intense. 

As we progressed and started to sweat from exertion, both Monte and I started shedding some of our layers.  A little more than a mile later we came across some rocks we had to climb to reach our destination.
 


 
 
  From my vantage point I noticed a couple of pools of water.  One was frozen on the surface.  Just as we were taking pictures of the petroglyphs, a sudden cold wind swept through blowing off Monte’s hat.  He bravely (or crazily) scrambled down the mountain to retrieve it. 
 


 
 
 The getting down was a lot easier than the getting up as there were prickly bushes preventing him from taking what looked like the easiest area to climb.  But after a few minutes, and several unsuccessful attempts he finally found an area in the rock that he could scale. 
 
 

While Monte explored the rocks and took pictures of the petroglyphs, I sat on a boulder just taking in my surroundings.  
 




 
 
 If we were more adventurous and had the proper equipment with us we could have climbed to the top of the mountain where there is a large boulder precariously balanced on a smaller boulder.
 
 
 
 
 
 

The views on the return trip were spectacular due to the shadows cast upon the mountain from the setting sun.  
 






 

No matter how many times I hike in the desert I don’t think I will ever get tired of its unique beauty.

After dinner, we decided to take a ride to Sports Authority because I wanted to buy new hiking shoes.  The boots that I usually wear are great for some terrains but on a trail like we did today a hiking shoe rather than boot would have been better.  I have a wide foot so it is difficult to find a woman’s shoe that fits comfortably.  And today was no exception.  Luckily I found a pair of Men’s Merrell hiking shoes in size 8 that fit perfectly and as a bonus were on sale.  I also purchased a new pair of Airr insoles and a new backpack.  I have a large hydration pack that I use on long hikes but on a short hike I prefer to use a small, lightweight backpack that has a mesh pouch for a water bottle. 

 I have been doing a lot of moaning about the cold weather lately and not focusing on the truly important things.  Having a day like today reminds me not to take anything for granted and to be grateful to be living this wonderful lifestyle with my sweetheart.  Thanks Monte.    

No comments:

Post a Comment