Saturday, January 19, 2013


January 18, 2013

Desert Sky

Renee and my mom picked me up in the afternoon for another round of shopping.  It is Renee’s birthday next week and we wanted to buy her some clothes for a new job she is starting soon.

Monte arrived at Renee’s house just as we were sitting down to a delicious dinner of my mom’s homemade potato salad and pork schnitzels.  After we ate, Grandpa Monte took the girls outside to ride their bikes.
 
 
 
They learned how to ride a bike without training wheels a couple of years ago.  But when they received new bikes for their birthday, that were much bigger, they didn’t feel confident to ride without the training wheels.
 
Kennedy
 

Kennedy still doesn’t feel ready to have the wheels off but Daphne wanted to try. 
 
Daphne
 
 
 So off came the wheels.  Monte came in the house to ask us all to come outside and when we did there was Daphne riding her bike with no wheels.  I wish I would have grabbed my camera on the way out to record this milestone in her life.

When it got too dark and cold to continue riding we watched a movie.  It was Daphne’s turn to choose the film.  She chose Garfield.  I hate to admit it was a little like torture watching it so after about 10 minutes I asked Mom and Dad if they wanted to play Skip-Bo. 

After the girls went to bed we watched the move New Year’s Eve.  It was a 2011 romantic comedy film directed by Garry Marshall depicting a series of holiday vignettes similar to his 2010 movie, Valentine’s Day.  It featured a large ensemble cast.  We all enjoyed the movie but mostly I enjoyed spending this time with my family.  My parents are leaving next Wednesday, and although I still have a few more days to spend with them, I am already anticipating the ache in my heart that their departure will cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment