Thursday, March 14, 2013


March 13, 2013

Desert Sky, Apache Junction, AZ

We lounged around in bed until 10 and watched a program on TV.
 
 
 
 I made Monte birthday waffles. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I prefer mine with sliced banana, syrup and walnuts. 
 
 
 
 
 
Monte likes his with powdered sugar.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I always make a double batch. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I freeze them and when we want to eat them it only takes a few minutes in the toaster oven and they taste fresh-made.

 
 
 
 
 
I thought Monte would take the day off from his solar installation for his birthday but he is on a roll and wants it to be complete within a couple of days. 
 I did tell him he should pat himself on the back for the great job he is doing.

 
Because we really have everything we need, we made a pact not to buy each other any presents for special occasions but that didn’t mean I couldn’t pick Monte up a few of his favorite things.  I placed one thing on his desk until he noticed it.  Then while he was outside I placed another thing on his desk…etc. until he had all the snacks I had gotten him.  I think he might have been a little disappointed when I told him the last item was really the last item.

 
 
 
 
We went to Applebee’s for dinner (courtesy of my mom & dad-thanks).  As soon as we were seated I told Monte I had to use the restroom but it was just a ruse to seek out our server to inform her it was Monte’s birthday. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
We are creatures of habit and ordered the same thing we always have-French Onion soup for Monte
 
 
 
 
and I ate our “shared” appetizer of Spinach and artichoke dip. 
 
 
 
 
 
We did the 2 for $20 and both ordered steak-masked potatoes for Monte while I went with baked potato.  I didn’t think about taking pictures of the plates until after we were finished eating.



Just when I thought the server had forgotten about Monte’s birthday, I saw her coming towards our table with a few other servers and the manager who carried the ice cream sundae





 

and lit the candle as the servers sang. 













I wish, I wish.....




Monte pretended to be embarrassed but I could tell he was pleased especially when he ate the entire sundae.

 
 
 
 
 
We had planned on going to a movie immediately after dinner but it was too early for the show we wanted to see so we drove back home to put the leftovers in the fridge.  We had some wire that we purchased in Lowes and didn’t end up needing so, to kill some time, we took a ride to Lowes. 
We timed getting to the movie just perfectly as the previews were just starting.  The theatre was surprisingly crowed for a weekday.

  The movie, Warm Bodies, was silly and cute.  I’m not sure it would have been Monte’s first choice and even though it was his birthday he generously went along with my desire to see the movie.  That is just the kind of person he is! 

The movie is about the power of human connection after a zombie epidemic.  R, the zombie boy, encounters a human girl named Julie and saves her from a zombie attack.  As the two form a special connection in their effort to survive, R becomes more human.  The movie has a generous amount of funny lines and even though the plot is quite silly, the entire audience couldn’t help but laugh.

I had bought a blueberry pie that I planned on putting candles on when we got home but we were both stuffed so it will just have to wait until tomorrow.  Monte said he had a great birthday and that was my goal so mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment