Friday, March 15, 2013


March 14, 2013

Desert Sky, Apache Junction, AZ
I took this picture of Pumpkin wistfully looking out the window.  Having the wanderlust myself I can empathize with his desire to be in the great outdoors exploring and maybe even chasing a bird or lizard.  BUT having lived his entire life as an indoor cat he is totally lacking in “street smarts” and (aside from our missing him if he took off) I fear he would not know how to either fend for or protect himself.  SO, unfortunately for him, he will have to be content with the limited view of the world from his window perch.

Before you go feeling sorry for him, know that he has a very comfy life
 and I am sure he considers himself the king of this castle on wheels.  Other than being able to roam freely outside he has the entire rig as his playground,
 
 
 
 
 a companion (Anne whom he delights in chasing into the bedroom and under the table) food and a potty that gets cleaned out at least twice a day (for their sake as well as our own).

 
 
 
We have officially gone from the freeze (it actually snowed here in Apache Junction a mere three weeks ago) to temps well into the 90s.
 
 
 
 
 
 
  I spend part of the day sitting outside chasing the shade as the sun moved. 
 
 
 
 
 
Finally, Monte hung up a tarp
 
 
 
 
 
 using hooks we purchased in Camping World. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When the sun got to be too much for me, I retreated inside to do some research on our next destination.  We will be leaving this spot (after 4 months) and going (we think) to Sedona to boon dock to test out our new solar installation.  I want to take this opportunity to thank Amanda of Watsons Wander for her speedy response to my boon docking questions.  They are currently in Sedona and their location sounds ideal for our first dry camping with solar experience. 

I had gotten pretty proficient at researching campground locations but am new to finding places off the grid and all the considerations that go along with it like where to take on water and where to dump tanks when we are ready to move on.  So I am really thankful for any information relating to dispersed camping.
Monte continued working on the solar installation tying up loose ends. 

 He soldered some wires on the control panel. 

 



 By the time we finished with dinner, it was cooler outside than inside so while Monte worked in the basement










(wiring up an outlet)








 and

(installing the wireless receiver for the inverter)



I sat outside enjoying the stars and getting caught up on some TV programs via the internet on my laptop.

 
 
 
Was that noise I heard you bumping your head?

Slide out tray makes working in the basement much easier
 than having to unload everything and then repack it all.
 
By 10PM, when Monte stopped working, it was comfortable enough to go back inside the rig.  I have experienced both extreme cold and extreme heat while living in our rig and I have to say that I prefer the cold where I can throw on an extra blanket and sleep with socks than the heat that just zaps me of energy.  We humans can be such finicky creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment